Monday 14 May 2018

Running recap since late 2015

In terms of marathons, there has not been a lot going on since 2015. Or rather there has been a lot of trying but not a whole lot of success.

In Autumn 2016 I trained for the Dublin Marathon with a goal of running under 3:30. Training went really well until about five weeks out when I got sick with an ear infection. Rest didn't work and neither did two courses of antibiotics the last of which finished I finished two days before marathon day. I got to mile 10 and ended up dropping out at that point. My very first marathon DNF! My relaxed attitude to dropping out was probably helped by knowing that I would be starting to train for the Boston Marathon 2017 mere weeks later in early December. That
would surely go more smoothly  right?

December passed easily enough with training feeling good. I had started to build my mileage nicely by Christmas.
On the first of January, I decided to test my fitness and run a 10k. So far so predictable.
The race itself passed off uneventfully. I ran it in 46 minutes while chatting comfortably for most of the race. I had wanted to work but not kill myself and was really happy with how well I felt crossing the line. On the cooldown, everything changed.
Suddenly, I started to feel pain in the sole of my right foot, just in front of the heel. It wasn't too bad though so I put it out of my mind.
The following morning the foot felt a bit tender but not too bad, so I stupidly decided that it would be fine to go and run eight miles with the club on grass. I managed two miles before I had to walk back to the car. That was the last time I ran for four weeks.

My plantar fascia was in a mess. Weeks of contrast baths, electric shock treatment, massage, stretching, gliding on the cross trainer, and strength training later I was allowed to run one mile. It was now February and the Boston Marathon was in early April.
I built up my mileage slowly, but never managed more than three to four days of running per week without the foot flaring up. Most of my speed work was done on the cross trainer, partially to spare the foot and partially out of boredom. My long runs happened on the Curragh planes in four or six-mile loops so that I could stay on the grass.

Sleepy now...to be continued tomorrow if i have the energy

No comments:

Post a Comment